Monday, June 23, 2014

The Withering

     From where the wide Uon slows down over the lowland to the coast where it washes out into the Sea of Donir there is nothing but inhospitable marshlands as far as one can see. In all of southern Donir, from Ferman Forest in the west to the eastern reaches of Ohren's Plains everyone has heard tales of strange inhabitants living deep inside the mazes of waterways and swamps. Most call them the Withering, for it is said that they are the remains of some ancient evil created by Eri-Ogori himself before he disappeared from Romesia.

      When travelling these lands one will hear storytellers speak of heroes of old and their encounters with these creatures, but most of all the stories of Ohren himself.


      As everyone surely knows, Ohren crossed the sea from the far west on his enchanted ship Ulthomar, the Sea Cleaver, and sailed into the mouth of Uon, braving the treacherous waters in the marsh. But as soon as Ulthomar entered this maze of reeds fog enveloped them completely. “Never in my days have I seen fog as this, Ulthomar. Surely there is something foul in the air!” Ohren said. “None like these indeed, evil powers are stirring around us. Alas, I fear our journey may be cut short!” Answered Ulthomar.
      Slowly they moved forward, fearing shoals hidden by the fog. For so thick was the fog that Ohren could not behold the stern from where he stood at the bow. Long they sailed but the fog persisted and never did they reach the riverbed of Uon. “It is as I feared!” Sighed Ulthomar, “evil deeds are in the making and our passage is blocked.” Ohren peered into the fog ahead of them and indeed there were shallows closing in. In that moment the fog dispersed a little and Ohren beheld land on all sides. “Wretched forces have moved banks and water. Trapped us they have!” He cried, “what will come of us now?”
      Ulthomar moved as close to the banks as possible without running aground and Ohren disembarked. He brought his great shield, his sword and a torch, for darkness was drawing near, and set out to find some way to escape their newly formed lake. But for no avail, the marshes had indeed trapped them. When he once again reached where Ulthomar was waiting it spoke to him, “Go on without me, Ohren, for forces that have captured me are greater than those given to me. Find your way from these accursed lands before you as well are caught in their grasp.” Ohren cried bitter tears for he knew this was true. He turned his back on Ulthomar. All the seas they had braved, all perils they overcame together, but this one proved too strong.
      Long he walked in the marshes, hoping to find his way to dry land once again. Alas the night was long and the torch he held was soon casting its last flickering lights on his surroundings. Ohren cried out, “Okreber!” For she was the goddess who often guided him in times of need, “Have you abandoned me? Have you not seen the evil leading me astray? Have you not seen what befell my loyal Ulthomar? In these dark and desolate lands I walk, with no guidance and fear I might meet my end before my time.” Okreber heard his cry and answered, “Ohren, have I not always guided you through hardships? Have I not showed you the way when you have asked?” Ohren knew this was all true. “Why did you not ask for my guidance when your travels became perilous? Why did you not cry out when evil acted on your path?” Now Ohren turned away, this was true as well, “I did not think these forces were a threat. I could not foresee a challenge me and trusted Ulthomar could not overcome.” Okreber was merciful but could not undo manifested evil, “I will not punish you for thinking highly of yourself, for that has already brought sorrow over you. I cannot lead you back to Ulthomar for the wicked forces have already concealed all paths behind you, but my light will guide your step in the darkness.” With these words Okreber left him, but as she did she spoke her blessing over his shield which now radiated her holy light. As the shadows trembled and gave way for the light Ohren saw dark figures, taken by surprise by the sudden light, running towards the retreating darkness. “A fool I am for placing my own strength over that of this evil. I have now lost my trusted companion, alone in this world am I, this wretched soul, only saved by the mercy of the gods.” Lamenting he walk forward, led in tears by the light of his shield.
      Before long tall shadows appeared before him. As he came closer he could see small hovels and huts making up a whole village on the islet ahead of him. He forded the waters and walked along rows of these small dwellings. Everywhere he could see the same wretched creatures he had seen earlier, hiding in or behind corners of their small houses, whispering dark words in their foul tongue. Walking forward he came upon a larger hovel, and entering he saw the first of their kind who did not hide. Clearly some chieftain of these it defied him, quivering but not hiding. Led by Okreber, Ohren drew his sword and pierced the ground. “I hereby declare my protection over these swamps through the power of Okreber, the lady of the Earth. Anyone entering these cursed lands asking for protection in my name shall not be led astray by your wretched acts and shall come of no harm!” He spoke and the chieftain trembled. When he lifted his hand from the sword he stood on the banks of Uon with the marshes behind him. Here he raised a monolith, giving thanks to Okreber and lamenting over Ulthomar.

      To this day people who have heard of Ohren's blessing can still call upon his name to pass safely through the marshes. Some even say that his lamentations can still be heard deep inside the marshes as fog rolls in over the treacherous banks.

No comments:

Post a Comment