Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Necromancer's Choice

      As the Goblins invaded the Dwarven kingdom of Thi'Betor year 1103 of the 2nd Era no accounts of the events that took place at the capital of Maso Betorim, the last stand of King Daeken, survived. When the Goblin horde breached the gates no one got out alive, or so the Dwarven historians write. One month before the inner walls were soaked in the blood of both Dwarves and Goblins a series of extraordinary events took place that can only be found retold in one peculiar book, the chronicles written by a certain necromancer.

      The invasion was a fact, by 1124 all bastion in the north had fallen to the seemingly unending flood of Goblins. They had cut of the remaining resistance from the rest of the kingdoms and were now forcing them to retreat to their last stronghold, the capital, from where they would have no where to run. In all tunnels the Goblins were gaining ground fast, raiding all chambers with settlements in them. As the horde completely encircled the last stand all seemed lost. No Dwarves had been able to stand against the relentless Goblins, but their new enemies feared not death.



      To the South-West a large force of Goblins under the command of the warlord Zek'Hirm had just routed a small Dwarven force, trying to break their lines to be able to escape to the west, to the safety of the other kingdoms. His warriors were looting the bodies and feasting on freshly fallen corpses, and all seemed to go their way. But as one warrior grabbed the helm of a seemingly dead Dwarf it turned its bloody head and stared at him. First he jumped back in surprise but soon commenced to bash the helmet into the skull of the owner. To no effect. The Dwarf got up, grabbed the Goblin by its throat, who by now was very uncomfortable with the situation, and with only one hand broke its neck. Another warrior screamed to alert everyone to the threat, not this one Dwarf in particular but the fact that all their slain foes had gotten back up and had now initiated a counter attack. The numerically superior Goblins were taken by surprise and many warriors were slaughtered before they even could raise their arms, only to soon after bolster the ranks of their enemy. It did not take long before Zek'Hirm sounded the retreat, escaping only with a fraction of his initial numbers.

      As they fled even more undead entered the chamber, in the midst of them walked the only living being left in this Dwarven hall: a necromancer. As the chaos abandoned the atmosphere and gave way to a calm stillness that one would not usually combine with a room full of corpses. The necromancer walked up to one of his newest subjects, one of the fallen Dwarves.

      “Indeed the signet of Thi'Betor.” He sighed as he examined the armor worn by it, “has it really come to this, old Daeken?”

He mustered his forces and continued through the gloomy halls towards the heart of the kingdom. Years before he had visited the glorious halls of the easternmost Dwarven kingdom and been amazed by the architectural skill of their masons. Now all were filled with the stench of death and told only of the battles that had been fought. Wherever he walked he encountered Goblins, but none were able to stop his advance. The Goblins' trait that had broken the Dwarven lines, their ruthless ways, were to no avail here for their new challenger knew not fear nor pain. One after another opposing groups of Goblins fled in sheer terror of the undead.

      During one clash a group of undead ran back to their master with a Dwarf, a live one, and dropped him on the stone floor in front of him. He was badly wounded and would most likely have been killed by his captors if the undead would not have stormed their camp when they did.

      “I must apologise for their behaviour,” The necromancer told his the newly arrived guest, “I only asked them to ask the first Dwarf that we encountered, living that is, to come see me for I have questions in need of answers.”
      The Dwarf coughed and looked up at the robed man.
      “Anyone fighting these vermin is friend of the Dwarves, what do you want to know, stranger?”
      “Ah, good to see you are willing to cooperate. You are correct in your assumption, partially at
least, about my allegiance. I am not here to fight you, but in truth nor to fight your battles for you.”
      He was met with a questioning glance.
      “Who would lead an army, even a cursed one like this one, into a war if not to help one of the warring sides?”
      “My task here does not concern you, as you might recall I said I wanted answers not questions. So may I?” Without waiting for an answer he granted himself permission, “how fares the king?”
      “I know not why you ask and truth be told I am not sure of the answer either. He is locked up in the keep of Maso Betorim with the last remnants of our army.” He coughed and seemed to be in great pain, “but for all I know he may be dead by now.”
      “Grave news indeed,” he was greatly troubled by this and began to leave.
      “Stranger!” The Dwarfs exclaimed, “tell me at least your name, I think I deserve to know who saved me.”
      The necromancer looked at the slowly growing pool of Dwarven blood.
      “Will you survive this?”
      “I... I doubt it.”
      “Then I need not tell you my name.”
He looked out at his ever growing horde of undead servants, in the midst of them a deep blue cape could sometimes be seen.
      “The dead,” he said silently, as if only thinking out loud, “the dead does not remember.”

He turned his back on the dying dwarf and walked away. He had no time for the living, the task at hand was more important than the life of one mortal.

      As he pushed onwards, through ever increasing amounts of Goblin warrior, his hoped waned. If Maso Betorim had fallen and Daeken's stand had been in vain his task would be much more troublesome than he had hoped for. That was however not the case. Soon he entered the enormous mountain hall that was before the capital's ornate wall. On the other side he could see the still sealed gates, they had held off the Goblins up until now, but between him and Daeken was still one hindrance; the main Goblin force, some ten thousand strong. He had been prepared to fight some Goblins, but this was more than he had expected.

But something he had not foreseen took place.

Word of the new terror had reached the besieging warriors before he did. Screams about the dead rising and coming to avenge them were heard throughout their ranks and chaos took hold of the whole army. His close to a thousand undead stormed into the Goblin warriors who first tried to hold but it proved useless as every undead took down his own worth in Goblins and the necromancer walked behind his own ranks and raised every fallen Goblin to fight its own brethren. When all calmed down the Goblins had fallen back and the undead ranks lined up outside the gates.

      “May king Daeken come out. For I require to speak to him!” The necromancer shouted.
      A silence followed. Then slowly but silently the massive stone doors slid open and a dwarf in golden armor followed by hundreds of soldiers from the royal guard.
      “We thank you for getting rid of the infestation for us.” He said when he reached the necromancer, “I am Dureq, his highness' right hand, and no matter how grateful we may be we can not let a cursed mage as yourself enter our town without explaining the cause of his visit.”
      “Well then do tell, what is required of me?”
      “Who are you? And why are you seeking audience to our king?”
      “It is long since my name was spoken, for the dead does not use it. But the living used to call me Keemon of Deepwell. As for your second question I will not answer, for it is a delicate matter that none but the king may hear.”
      Dureq had his eyes fixed on Keemon. In these grave times he would not let any one close to his king without a good reason.
      “Then I have but one more question.” Dureq finally said, “if I do not like this answer you will not enter through these gates.”
      Keemon was not looking worried.
      “Ask away, master Dwarf, ask me your final question.”
      The lines of undead were getting restless. Sweat could be seen on the Dwarf's forehead.
      “This secret matter,” Dureq slowly began, “will it aid us in our struggle against the Goblins?”
      “What else could someone in your position ask for?” Keemon smiled, “I am sorry, but it will not. But then again it will not affect you at all, good or bad.”
      “Then I must now ask you to leave.” Dureq voice was again full with authority, “And I forbid you to ever cross our borders again!”

The talk was over. Keemon backed away as his warriors did the opposite. Dureq and the guards formed a defensive formation and began to move back towards the gates.

      “I gave you a chance!” Keemon's voice was heard over the sound of thousands of undead charging, “you have left me with no choice!”

But as the two forces were about to clash a horn was heard from the town. The undead stopped. Out of the gate came more Dwarven warriors, ahead of them two banners with the emblem of Thi'Betor were carried. Between the banners walked the king himself.

      “I speak as your king!” He shouted, “Dureq, stop this madness!”

Once again the undead backed away and opened a path through their lines where Keemon walked back to meet king Daeken.

      “And you, Keemon of Deepwell.” The king spoke, “I think I know why you have come.”
      “As expected of the king of Thi'Betor.” Keemon answered.

The king turned and signalled for Keemon to follow. The undead waited outside as Keemon and the king walked in through the gates, followed by the entourage of Dwarves.

      King Daeken led Keemon to his throne room where they both took a seat. Everyone else were told to leave, and soon there were no one but the two, waiting for the other to speak. This was Daeken's 136th year of rule and he had always been a just and strong leader, loved by his people. But being approached by this young necromancer made him speechless and left him sunken deep in his thoughts. The silence could not last forever.

      “I have tried to go through all the reasons why a necromancer as yourself would seek me out,” he said slowly, “you told Dureq that the matter you wanted to discuss could not be told elsewhere. You have no interest in helping us nor helping the Goblins, that rules out any reasons concerning the war at hand.”
      Keemon said nothing, waiting only for the king to guess why he was here.
      “I find that only one reason remains, but I do not like it.” The king's eyes were set on Keemons', “why would you come looking for the Old One?”
      Keemon was about to answer the troubled king but was interrupted.
      “You must understand, necromancer, that my house is loved, respected and feared by our brethren to the west.”
      Daeken's listener waited patiently for the king to continue.
      “Loved as fellow Dwarves. Respected as guardians of the eastern borders.” He let out a sigh, “and feared for making that one trivial deal with your kind so long ago.”
      His eyes had both sorrow and anger in them as he became silent once more.
      “With all due respect,” Keemon did not hesitate to pick up at the end of the king's speech, “but are those three not the three single most greatest features you could ask for in your neighbouring kingdoms? None will ever dare to challenge or even question your judgement.”
      “Silence!” The king had heard enough, “why would I ask my own kin to fear me? Why would I not want to ask my brethren for advice?”
      Daeken had stood up and with heavy steps walk up to one of the many statues along the large chamber's walls. He took a deep breath and calmed himself.
      “These statues...” he began, “these statues are the kings and queens of Thi'Betor's throne.” He sighed, “engraved on each statue are their greatest accomplishments, to set an example for our once proud kingdom. What do you think will be written on my statue once I'm gone? 'King Daeken, the one who lost Thi'Betor to the Goblins of the north'.”
      In silence he walked back to the throne.
      “Under any other circumstance I would deny you what you are asking, but as I might not live to see another day and the fact that no more statues will be added to this line makes me ask myself: 'what is the difference?' If I would tell you to leave, you could come back once the Goblins have eradicated every last one of us and force your way in.”
      “I am glad to see that you can see the bigger picture in these dark times.” Keemon stood up, “I can sense something is approaching as we speak. What is this presence, can it be the Old One himself?”
      “I cannot sense what you can, necromancer, but he would never leave his chambers.”

As they spoke Keemon could sense something filled with great power coming their way through a corridor he could see behind the throne. As the king had said, the Old One did not enter the room as Keemon had hoped but instead nothing but a small butterfly entered through the dark hallway. Wings as black as the night, beautiful and graceful as it flew but as it came closer Keemon saw its small wings were breaking apart into small black flakes. As it landed in his open palm he could see small holes in its wings, but its flying was as delicate as ever.

      “I have only heard tales of these creatures.” The king looked in amazement at the insect in his guest's hand, “the Old One sent these to my predecessors when he wanted to see them personally. That was only on rare occasions.”
      “It seems I am dealing with powers even greater than I expected,” Keemons whispered silently, “my lord, I have a feeling you are obliged to let me go now.”

With these words Keemon got up and followed his small winged guide into the dark halls, leading deep under the city. Soon Dwarven masonry gave way to crudely hewn rock. The flame in his hand was the only source of light in these ever descending tunnels.

      How long he had walked he could not tell. Minutes, hours, days, all concepts of time erased by the underwordly darkness that surrounded the necromancer. His own footsteps was the only sound that stirred the otherwise still atmosphere. But as most other things, even this cave had an end, a humble wooden door, that his companion finally reached. The black wings had but a few black flakes left, and upon arrival at the door these final ones fell off and the bearer disintegrated. Keemon did not hesitate but walked up to the door which silently opened before him. Inside it was a whole different world. He entered a small dimly lit room which after a few steps opened up into a larger chamber, walls covered with filled bookshelves and old, even ancient paintings depicting gruesome scenes from forgotten wars. But the most curious thing in the chamber was lying between two chairs that were facing a fireplace, a pile of bones. The heap was seemingly not of a certain kind but bones from all kinds of animals and humans.

      All of a sudden the bones stirred, rose and formed a twisted and terrifying creature. Head of something that looked like a giant wolf but the body like a bear, its eyes flaming green. Keemon prepared for it to charge at him but and outstretched hand from one of the chairs touched it and the creature instantly fell apart again.

      “You must excuse him,” a low voice from the chair, “I am afraid we don't get visitors very often so he gets a little restless.”
      The hand invited Keemon to take the other seat.
      “I do enjoy the few visitors we have, they always come crawling to me for forbidden wisdom. But I find it interesting guessing what exactly they want and why.”
      Keemon now could see his host, an old wrinkled man, his eyes sunken into their sockets and barely no hair on his hooded head.
      “Come now, why do you seek me? To ask me for knowledge?” His voice was old and dry, but still full with power and something that forced one to respect him. Something Keemon didn't have much of.
      “You have seen more than any one else and you hold the answer my question.” Keemon showed no signs of hesitations, he wanted one thing, and he would leave as soon as he got it.
      “Your question? It is the same one your master asked me so long ago perhaps?”
      “I have no master.”
      “Maybe now you don't but to deny he existed after all he did for you is simply too harsh.”
      “If he had done enough I would not be here now. No, he was but a part of the path I travel to fulfil my own agendas, we shared nothing.” Keemon was clearly insulted by the comparison.
      “I think you shared more than you think since you too have come to seek me.”
      “He saw no further than his own will to rule over those who came before him. I have plans for eras yet to come.”
      “Some may arrive sooner than you want. The balance of the world is shifting.”
      “I know not of what you speak, the alliance in the south is no more than words on paper, written by a starving hand.” Hints of irritation now appeared in his voice.
      “Do not underestimate the needs of the many.” He took a break and his thought wandered off into some other direction. “But this is not why you've come. What do you really want from me?”
      “The secret you have been guarding for so long.” A short, sudden sign of hesitation, “I know who, and what, you are. I must know how this came to pass and how to acquire the same power”
      “You speak boldly considering your position. If you know who and what I am how dare you come here with such a request. You have nothing to offer and I have nothing to lose.”
      “What would that position be?”
      “Dying. Afflicted by a sickness called mortality.”
      “I have no plans of leaving this world any time soon. This sickness is yet to take root in me.”
      “One does not know tomorrow. The sickness has more than taken root, it is already in full bloom and will bear fruit when it sees fit.”
      “If you think that is the case, perhaps you may want to help me?”
      “Now we are getting somewhere. You finally seem to see where you, and more importantly I, stand. But why would I want to help you find the cure?”
      “I think you would be interested in seeing how my plan unfolds.”
      “Your plan? This agenda you mentioned? No, don't tell me, I shall think about it for a moment...” he closed his eyes and seemed to think over all possible scenarios, “No, it can't be, can it? Why would you want to...”
      He once again turned back to his own thoughts, but in the end seemed satisfied with what his guess was.
      “But interesting none the less, indeed very interesting. Some have tried before you but it has never worked, do you know why?”
      He didn't wait for Keemon to answer.
      “It is because we control the power over death, that is why!”
      This sudden outburst took Keemon by surprise.
      “I do not agree, our power is over life as well.”
      “I see. You are one of those, you want to bring back someone you've lost. But it will not work! Life will never come from death! If you are truly this naïve this discussion is over!”
      The Old One turned away and Keemon could see the heap of bones stir.
      “There is no one that I have lost, no one I ever held dear. I am but a judge! One to tip the scales!” He got up and took a few steps away from the rising beast.
      “You lie! You lie to me and to yourself. I will not help you resurrect her!”
      The beast rose from the bones and moved towards Keemon.
      “I know not of what you speak, none of this has anything to do with why I want your knowledge.”
      “There was someone, wasn't there?”
      He turned towards Keemon again, the beast stopped.
      “27 years ago, you killed her with your own hands.”
      This took Keemon off guard.
      “Leave my past out of this, you know nothing of it.”
      “I know much more, Keemon of Deepwell.”
      Nervosity almost got the better of Keemon, but he managed to stay on track.
      “I assume you have your means. But in the end this has nothing to do with my goals.”
      “Maybe they do, maybe they don't. But you seem to speak true. Which makes me even more interested in your agenda. I might give you my knowledge, only to see what path you will choose.”
      He now gestured for Keemon to take a seat.
      “So... a city of undead is my only remaining guess if you speak true. You want to create a standing army of conscious undead.”
      He looked at Keemon, who did not say a word.
      “I take your silence as a yes.” He leaned back, “you must first understand what we truly are: a human is but a vessel for life to reside in. A necromancer is simply a person who can tap into this vessel and harvest its force.”
      Keemon listened patiently.
      “But what you want is more, you want to be able to harvest the power around you, not just your own. To access that you must first break this vessel so that you can merge and let it flow through you.”
      “To break the vessel? Sounds like you're asking me to die.”
      “Yes and no. This vessel is your life, when someone dies this vessel breaks and the life is released into the world. It is the second part you must avoid.”
      “How can one die without life leaving the corpse?”
      “It is simple, yet not easily accomplished. You must first empty the vessel and seal it so that it is not refilled as you walk the earth.”
      “I do not see how I can empty my vessel. As I raise undead to serve me I cannot feel it emptying.”
      “Are you not listening?” The Old One snapped at him, “you cannot feel it for one undead does not require much life, and as soon as you raise them you absorb more life from the earth around you. You must make sure your body stops absorbing, you must learn to control it.”
      “I think I already can do this. My years of studying have led me to this knowledge, I have only never found use for it before.”
      “You will now. The next step is the key your master never learned: once the vessel is empty you must open the seal and once again let it fill up. When you absorb then it will fill up so fast it will break all that is being absorb from but also the vessel itself.”
      “And as the vessel breaks the body will still have life rushing in to it.”
      “Yes, exactly.”
      Keemon stood up, he got what he wanted.
      “But...”
      This stopped him.
      “...there is one important part yet.”
      Keemon turned towards him again, fearing what this last part would be.
      “If you cannot absorb enough life when you open the seal you will only die.”
      “No...”
      “Yes... you must go where you can absorb enough life to survive when the vessel breaks.”
      Keemon quivered for the first time in years, he did not like where this is going.
      “There is only one place with enough life for you to absorb.”
      “I have not come to kill innocent! I have come to be a judge!”
      “If you want to be a judge you must first pay the price.”
      Keemon had no answer. This was not what he had expected.
      “You must go to the city north from here, their inner walls are protected by a barrier that will let you absorb all life inside the walls without anyone outside ever getting to know about it.”
As he got no answer he turned away again.
“Leave me now, you have the answer you came for, what you decide to do is now up to you.”

      One last gesture sent the necromancer on his way. No words were spoken. He barely remembered the long walk up, or the king for that matter. He left Thi'Betor in silence, Goblins and Dwarves keeping their distance from him and his undead horde. Through the dark tunnels he left the fortress to its fate, walking back to his own chambers in Mag-Ogor. There he sat down. He now knew all he needed to know. His goal was in reach, but at what cost?


Back to Top

No comments:

Post a Comment